Monday, March 03, 2008

6 Degrees of Separation

Probably most people are familiar with this theory. It is a theory that says there are only 6 people separating us from anyone else on the planet. I have always found it fascinating. I also believe it is true. 9-11 was a good example of it. Everyone I spoke to either knew someone in one of the buildings/planes or knew someone who was related to someone who was, or knew someone who knew someone. However, I believe this theory only holds true in the "developed" world. I doubt some tribesman in the middle of Africa knows anyone in the disaster or anyone who knows someone who was. He may not even know about the event at all. Still, what do I know? There may have at one time been a researcher that visited that tribe who had a sister on one of the planes.

Facebook is to blame for me thinking about this subject. I added an application called 6 degree and it shows how many degrees of separation there are between your friends. The average for all of facebook is 6.12, my average is 4. That makes sense because most of my friends are somehow involved in esoterica and it is reasonable to assume that more of them know each other than just a random group of friends, like on myspace where I don't actually know most of my friends. My niece Jen and I share the least amount of friends, with just one. Paul Kimball and myself share the most common friends at 14. More evidence that most people have almost nothing in common with their family other than sharing some DNA. Although Jen and I are the most alike of people in my family, it would be unlikely to have even one friend in common with other members of my family, unless it was an old family friend or another family member.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strange, I wrote the previous part of this post yesterday afternoon and last night facebook synchronicity happened. I received a facebook email from someone I didn't know, at first I thought it was spam because I didn't know the sender, but it wasn't. It was from my niece Jen's friend who was telling me that Jen is Bellevue Hospital in NYC. Now if not for facebook there is probably no way this person would have known how to get a hold of me. I am pretty sure she didn't know my last name because Jen always mentions me as just Aunt Lesley. She knew who I was by putting two and two together, my name, comments I had left Jen, where I lived and so on. In another facebook synchronicity, it is my fault Jen is in NYC and not home in Boston. My facebook friend, Neal Goldsmith, was having an event at the Alex Grey gallery that I told Jen about because she is a big fan of Alex Grey. She was really excited about the event and decided to go. Neal is the friend we share because she friended him after I told her about the event.

Right now I am not sure what is wrong with Jen. Her friend told me that she became unresponsive at the event, a friend took her back to the hotel and the next day (yesterday) she was still like that so they took her to the hospital and called the girl who contacted me in Boston. The hospital was running tests on her and knew nothing yet. Apparently she is conscious, but doesn't respond to anything and they are having a hard time getting her to wake up at all. I can easily find myself thinking that this is related to all the psyche meds she is on. So far as I can tell her psyche doctor does nothing to help her bi-polarism or panic attacks other than writing out prescriptions. Perhaps she lost track and took more than normal. Yes, I have a prejudice against such meds, so I would think that.

Anyhow, I guess I wait to see if I learn anything new today.

No comments: