Thursday night I was too glued to the tsunami/earthquake coverage to write a blog post about it, but it is totally horrible. I hope this will not prove to everyone that nuclear power plants DO NOT provide safe energy, but it may. Well, I would hope that everyone would realize that, but not at some sort of destructive cost. Nuclear and safe are two words that should never be used together - like clean and coal.
Off my soapbox now.
It was strange out yesterday around here. It was a beautiful spring-like day and normally I would be seeing and hearing lots of different birds. No birds anywhere yesterday. I did hear two owls hooting off in the distance, but none of the tweeting birds that I normally see and hear in the yard. We went up higher in the mountains to get lunch at a little cafe and none there either. It was too quiet out and weird. I don't know if it had something to do with the earthquake, but I assume it must have because I don't remember ever being outside without birds around, not even in the dead of winter.
3 comments:
My understanding is that Thorium nuke reactors are much safer and cannot melt down, unlike the uranium reactors used now in most parts of the world. (The only reason we developed uranium reactors was because you could build bombs with uranium...Thorium can't be used for weapons.)
I think nuclear is inevitably going to be a part of the energy mix as we try to wean ourselves off liquified dinosaurs.
-- Bill Smith
www.BillSmithBooks.com
I've noticed the strange lack of birds over here in AZ also. We feed them with seeds and water year round, but this winter the flocks never materialized. A few finches and doves, but no meadowlarks or the usual quail coveys. Sometimes the seeds remain untouched and I put out a smorgasbord.
I didn't expect this and it's sad, what I do expect is a severe drop off in hummingbirds that have to fly over the gulf from Mexico. I'm afraid the extinction event will kill them by the millions.
No birds today either. Haven't seen any dead ones, no clue where they all went. Maybe they headed further away from the fallout that is headed our way.
Post a Comment