Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blogs, money and more

OK, so I have a new post at UFO Mystic.  Really cool video of the UFO over China if you haven't seen that video yet.  Craig tells me that he is working on some new things to maybe keep the site going.  That gave me some hope and so I am posting again and will be trying my best to get people to visit UM.  As I told Craig I would be really sad to see UM or Cryptomundo be shut down, let alone both.  I hope that whatever Craig is doing works. 

I do totally understand why people don't click on random ads, it is one of the reasons I really like the new Amazon contextual ads.  I like that I can add in something that I actually like instead of random crap showing up in my sidebar.  Of course, I don't expect to become a millionaire off that. :-)  I don't even know if I will make any money off of it, but at least it fits in.  I am luckier than Craig since I am not putting out any money for my blogs.  As Regan points out in one of her posts tonight, it would be cool to make a few bucks and we certainly wouldn't turn them down, but that isn't why we do what we do.  Craig being a site owner and putting out money is in a different position, but most bloggers just like doing it (for whatever reason) and money is not what motivates them. 

The few fortean/ufo blogs that you see that pop up (always someone you have never heard of) and are obviously hoping to make money with tons of ads in their sidebar normally disappear within a couple weeks.  Those people seem very insincere to me and I am just as happy to see them go.  Nobody should become a blogger with the thought of making any money, only because they enjoy writing and want to do it.

Back in the days before the internet and blogs I would sit around writing things in my notebooks.  Things that nobody ever saw or read.  I think maybe sometimes we forget how lucky we are to have a place to share our ideas and thoughts with more than our limited group of local friends.  I know that even I forget that sometimes.

No comments: